Julia Mackworth practises exclusively for the defence.
She works mainly in London and the South East representing those charged with the most serious sexual and violent offences. Many of her clients require special attention being vulnerable or troubled young people or those suffering with poor mental health and Julia combines a caring but combative approach.
Her recent cases include:
- Representing a defendant with serious mental health issues charged with the rape of child;
- Representing a woman who was accused of a series of upsetting robberies of elderly hospitalised dementia patients all over the country which attracted nationwide attention;
- Representing a boy who raped children in his care home.
Additionally, she is currently instructed in cases of large scale commercial burglary, drug supply and late night street fighting.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
Practises exclusively in criminal defence. Junior counsel to the first (main) defendant on the largest international and UK fraud in recent history R v PLACE the Confidential Access case.
- 12 years experience of defending those charged with:
- SEXUAL CRIMES (ESPECIALLY THOSE AGAINST CHILDREN)
- SEX TRAFFICKING AND PROSTITUTION
- SERIOUS VIOLENCE
- MULTI-HANDED PUBLIC DISORDER
- DRUG IMPORTATION AND SUPPLY
CASES OF NOTE
R v WH AND ORS, St Albans Crown Court 2019 Successfully defended in a 7-week money laundering case. Instructed by Mr Nasir Ali Hussain of Musa Patels LLP of Dewsbury, two of eight defendants were acquitted in a document heavy fraud at St Albans. The prosecution alleged a complex insider banking fraud in which large sums stolen were quickly diverted through multiple layers of businesses across the UK. This defence team put forward a detailed and sophisticated defence involving a large quantity of business and banking records combined with expert forensic accountancy reports.
R v A AND H
R v I
R v DAR Large scale housing fraud
R v BAIBOKAS AND JANKAUSKAS Car ringing and drugswith Ken Aylett
R v KISILAUSAKAS (s18)
R v KHAN AND ASHRAF Long firm fraudwith Ken Aylett
R v M
R v JASPREET SINGH Kidnap
R v STEVE ASHLEY Large-scale cultivation cannabis
R v ATILA Multiple brothelsled by Dora Belford/Ken Aylett
R v WILSON MOONIE Multi handed gang burglaries
R v RUBENS ANDRADE Robbery and ABH
R v G
- Criminal Bar Association
- BA Hons (Durham)
- LLB Hons (London)